Paul J. Philion
Design and build internet-based enterprise systems for an exciting
company. Apply my technical leadership and mentoring skills to
challenging projects in a team environment.
Extensive professional experience in software architecture, development and technical team
- Sun Certified Java Architect, Web Component Developer, Developer
- Software architecture, object-oriented analysis, design and
programming, consulting, web services and web application development,
telecommunications and telephony
- Java, J2EE, web services, WS-* standards, XML, Servlets, JSP, n-tier architecture,
UML, VoiceXML, EJB, CORBA, RMI, JDBC, SQL, JBoss, Tomcat, WebLogic, C++, C, Objective-C,
WebObjects, HTML, Perl, Linux, MacOS
May 2007 - present
- Responsible for key design and architectural decisions in the "next generation" product, based on a
highly-scalable, service-oriented CORBA framework, using Java, Spring and Hibernate.
- Designed and implemented key services within the product for distributed document conversion and
migrating existing customer to the new product seamlessly.
- Provided leadership and mentoring within the development team.
Software Development Engineer III
February 2006 - May 2007
- Architect and lead developer of a new web services platform at Amazon.com.
- Designed a flexible and highly dynamic framework that incorporates robust
marshaling and unmarshaling from XML and a business process layer to allow rapid
development and deployment of web services by aggregating back-end service invocations.
- Provided leadership and mentoring to the web services team. Coordinated with project groups
across Amazon.com to encourage better software reuse through encapsulation, better SOA design and
Lead Software Engineer
October 2004 - January 2006
- Lead design and development of an MVC-based framework for VXML-based
- Developed rich and robust speech applications based on the framework.
- Developed a framework for automated speech application testing.
- Provided technical vision for the company as a whole, including adaption
of standards (VXML, SIP, web services), open source (JBoss, Jakarta, etc.)
and process improvements.
Lead Architect, Product Development
July 2002 - July 2004
- Lead architecture and design of distributed component-based
interactive voice gateway.
- Developed components for input recognition, caching and
- Worked with customers to gather requirements and develop use
cases, project and test plans.
- Developed automated test framework for black-box component-level
testing and full system automation testing.
Director, Product Development
August 2000 - July 2002
- Responsible for the specification, design and leading the
development of Java-based tools to operate with the existing
MindBox product line.
- Responsible for the development of Java enterprise integration
architecture and best practices.
- Responsible for development of XML-based standards for rule
representation and Java-based standard for rule system
Highland Technology Group
October 1998 - August 2000
- Designed the architecture for a scalable, maintainable,
highly-available B2B services network, based on EJB.
- Worked with a handpicked team to develop the Sun Certified Java
Architect exam. Responsible for the design patterns, UML, OOA&D
and n-tier architecture sections. Also played a key role in the
research and review of the entire exam.
- Technical lead on the BellSouth Buzz portal
project. Role included requirements gathering, software
architecture, development of key components and coordination of
development and graphics resources. Development was based on
Netscape Application Server and a custom AppLogic component
architecture, using Java and SQL.
- Played a lead role in evaluating and recommending key
technology partners for the BellSouth.net Internet strategy.
Developed migration plans for integrating the partners.
Senior Technical Consultant
March 1997 - October 1998
- Technical lead on an agent-based web application for a large
insurance company. Project involved architecture and development of
software agents operating in a NetDynamics application server.
- Technical team lead on Online Agent, to provide point-of-sale
support for the ordering of BellSouth products and services.
Development was done under HP-UX, using Java, Orbix, WebObjects,
C++ and Oracle.
- Technical team lead on Solution Advisor, an award-winning BellSouth
Small Business web-based application which uses a KnowledgeBase
engine to recommend BellSouth products for specific business needs.
Development was done under HP-UX, using C++, WebObjects and
- Developed a logging and reporting architecture for Java CORBA
server, based on Java, JDBC and OrbixWeb.
- Served as the Java and web application consultant/mentor for
the Atlanta regional office.
Senior Software Engineer
February 1996 - March 1997
- Designed and developed alarm surveillance and paging software
for digital video servers, using C++, Motif and UIM/X. Ported this
software to both IRIX and Solaris platforms.
- Developed applications for network monitoring and server
configuration using Java and AWT.
- Responsible for user interface guidelines and standards.
Member of Scientific Staff
January 1990 - January 1994, July 1994 - February 1996
- Developed the S/DMS Network Manager, a graphical user interface
for surveillance of a telephony network, using C++ and
- Designed and developed object-oriented graphical user interface
software for the AccessNode, including the Circuit Provisioning Manager,
E2A Alarm Manager and TBOS Alarm Manager. Development done with C, CMISE
and Motif/X-Windows under HP-UX.
Senior Software Engineer
Hayes Microcomputer Products
January 1994 - July 1994
- Developed commercial communications software, Smartcom II for
the Macintosh, using MPW and C, C++ and Pascal.
Consulted as a subject matter expert with Sun Microsystems to
develop the Java certification exams:
- Minors in Mathematics
- Computer Science Intern at Philip Morris USA - Richmond,
Virginia. Designed and implemented an executive information system,
which collected and correlated information from various on-line
information services, using SQL, DB2 and HyperTalk on the Mac.
- Computer Science Co-op at the National Security Agency - Fort
Meade, Maryland. Designed and developed the Orange Book in
HyperCard, a hypertext version of the
Trusted Computer System Evaluation Criteria, using HyperTalk
© 2007 /
Paul Philion /
All rights reserved